Most types of succulents are completely harmless, but the few that are will cause temporary digestive distress if they are ingested. To be on the safe side, browse our Pet Safe Succulents to find non-toxic varieties and let us know your preference in your order comments when purchasing trays. It's not often that a pet or child tries to eat a succulent, but we recommend keeping them out of reach just in case.
Potentially Toxic Varieties
- Agave (not toxic, just spiky)
- Aloe vera
- Cactus (not toxic, just spiny)
- Euphorbia (sap can also irritate skin)
- Jade plants (Crassula)
- Snake plants (Sansevieria aka Dracena)
- String of Pearls (Senecio rowleyanus)
You can find more information in our Pet-Safe Succulent Guide.