Possible Causes of Dark Spots (and Solutions)
- Rot: over-watered succulents will eventually get darky, mushy patches; let soil fully dry, reduce watering frequency, and ensure that pots and soil are well-draining
- Sunburn: extreme sunburns will turn black permanently; protect from direct sun and water deeply in the early morning to encourage healthy growth to replace burnt leaves
- Edema: over-watered plants get corklike bumps; water less frequently and check that your succulent is in well-draining pots and soils
- Salt burns: could be from high concentrations of fertilizers or mineral-heavy water; stop fertilizing and use distilled water or rainwater
- Fungus: prevent the growth of fungus by allowing soil to fully dry; consider repotting in containers with drainage holes and gritty, well-draining soil
- Scale: hard-shelled, sucking insects that look like small, dark bumps; gently scrape off or spray with 70% isopropyl alcohol
Not sure which it is? Send us a photo of the damage here.